Tuesday 4 July 2017

Relationship First!

By Buket Ozdel Gurol


When I was watching Naima with the boys who were really having fun in drama class, I recognized a boy in the back of the class watching the kids and Naima. I was trying to figure it out - why he was not in it? After some time I preferred asking one of the teachers why he wasn’t participating and he told me he was working with the repair man who came to fix the air condition. Then I had the thought that no kid should be working at a time when they should only be playing and studying!

While I was witnessing the kids with Natasha in her English class, I noticed how the kids become happy when they know the answer of the questions coming from their teacher. And this took me to some of the classes which I took as an adult and realizing the theme which proves to me how important it is to be right (rather than being happy most of the time).

When I worked with the younger kids, ages 4-6 on their hands for the friendship tree, I realized how important it is for the kids to be seen. When you show your love through your voice, your behaviour, your touch, your show up when they need help, it is so precious. I’ve always believed that being a leader as a teacher makes a difference!

After some time, the theme of our project which is “help a friend’ came to my mind and I’ve found myself questioning myself. Am I helping my friends... my teammates? Do I live the value I believe which is ‘relationship first’ ? Am I aware of my friend’s needs individually or am I asking them? Because I learned very well that if each of the team member gives 100%, then everything just flows easily. Effortless success takes place magically!



No comments:

Post a Comment